web analytics

This site uses cookies, by continuing to use this site you are agreeing to their use.   Learn More

home elsewhere london


Click on the thumbnails to get a larger picture, then on on the top LHS of the screen to return to this page.


logger above:  gps below


The lamps are set at at an angle

Sad tribute

Royal Standard Hotel actually a Pub


Great Eastern Railway Museum


Woolwich Free Ferry

Rust patterns


The two ferries passing one another


Loading up

We took a trip on the ferry to the north bank then came back directly


This enlarges greatly

The Thames Barrier

Loading up o the return trip

Stairs to the foot tunnel

Entrance to the foot tunnel

The tunnel

No cycling!

Boxing in the Park

We saw several of these yachts

We could not think what this craft was for;  it was moored opposite Bargehouse Causeway



Victorian cottages

University of East London

London Airport

Plane takes off

A scruffy bridge, not worthy of the great athlete

Plane approaches the airport

Following the flight path

Flight path

Museum of London - Docklands

Port of London Authority

Wetherspoons 'the ledger building' where we had lunch


The main bar

Unusual lights

Herring Gull 1994 by Jane Ackroyd

Hare in the flowers

The Grapes


The weather improved

Limehouse Basin

Our Lady Immaculate and St Frederick Catholic Church

The Mission is an apartment building converted from a 1930s Seaman's Mission around 12 years ago, and built around an attractive central courtyard garden.   There is a large communal roof terrace giving far reaching views of the City, East London and Canary Wharf.

St Anne’s Limehouse is one of 12 churches known as the Queen Anne churches which were intended to cater for London’s rapidly expanding population (and possibly because all of the existing graveyards were full as a result of the plague of 1666).   It was built as a result of a 1711 Act of Parliament. Queen Anne initiated the scheme and raised money for it by imposing a tax on coal coming up the River Thames.  The tower of St Anne’s Church was originally designed for St Alfege’s but was not erected there because of a lack of funds.   St Anne’s was gutted by fire in 1850 and was restored between 1851 and 1854 by Philip Hardwick. The roof and tower were restored further in 1983 and 1993, when tubular steel trusses were added to support the roof. The pipe organ won first prize in the Great Exhibition of 1851 and is much prized by musicians.

The purpose of a large four sided pyramid in the graveyard of St Anne’s Church is a mystery. The four pinnacles on the main west tower are capped with pyramids with a similar shape but much smaller. The top of one of the faces of the grounded pyramid is inscribed with the words ‘The Wisdom of Solomon’  and under it is carved a raised coat of arms on which a unicorn is discernable to the left.

The pyramid is listed Grade II with the description “Churchyard monument in the form of a pyramid, c1730. Portland stone. Square pyramid, each face divided into five fielded panels.   Worn armorial relief on the south side below the inscription.  Some commentators state that beneath the English inscription are the same words in Hebrew but that is not visible now and is not mentioned in the English Heritage listing description above.

The English Heritage description is suggestive of the pyramid being a churchyard monument. A Hawksmoor church – St-George-In-The-East (started in 1714) – in Cannon Street Road has a square marble pyramid memorial on a two stage base with a coat of arms on the south face and dating from 1738.   http://www.catfan.co.uk/1.Catfan_shadwell.htm for a picture of St George's

Handsome terrace

We picked up the DLR train at Westferry and came home without incident.   The sun came out and was radiant on the walk home from the station, a bit late, but nevertheless we had a very good day.

Businesses in the arches